Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Power of Carrot Cupcakes

YIPPEE! I tweeted, and somebody finally tweeted back. I have become a TWEETEE! I am officially interacting on Twitter instead of tweeting into my own ear. Those who know me will not be surprised that this interchange was about food. Somebody tweeted that they had just taken some carrot cupcakes out of the oven. Since I have a troublesome weakness for carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, I of course tweeted back a request for the recipe. AND I GOT IT, along with a nice personal note that the Twitterer was about to post an updated recipe, so I might want to check back in a few days.

OK, let's talk about the psychology behind my reaction to this message, which was practically on a par with the way I felt when I "became a woman" at age 14. (I was bowling with my Aunt Ethel at the time, and I thought I needed to go to the emergency room...she said the ladies room would work just fine.) But getting a personal Tweet response made me feel like I had reached an important milestone. Who knew that we could "come of age" more than once in a lifetime?

Gail Sheehy wrote a great back some time back called "Passages." It was about the various life stages we all experience, and how difficult it can be to transition from one stage to another. Sometimes we don't even realize it when we're in the midst of a transition. Turning points usually don't carry photo IDs; often we don't recognize them until after the fact.

The greeting and carrot cupcake recipe in my Twitter inbox somehow validated my effort to transition from dinosaur to social media wiz. Was I going to dip my toe in the social networking pool and then run like hell in the opposite direction, or was I going to wade further in until I couldn't touch bottom? I wasn't entirely sure of the answer (see previous post).

But now I know. I'm going to keep swimming, not only because it's fun but because I can see already that it's a key part of my transition from 1970s-style PR person to 21st century strategic communications guru. Hey, if Cher, Madonna and Hillary Clinton can reinvent themselves, so can I, right?

1 comment:

  1. Okay...I see that Facebook, blogging, etc. can be interesting and entertaining, it doesn't seem to have much practical business application. I know there are businesses who blog, etc., but I don't care to look at them. I would much rather read about what my friends are up to...such as a niece and her husband that have taught me a lot about the hospitality industry and they search for the perfect motel or bed and breakfast to invest in.

    ReplyDelete